sábado, 5 de novembro de 2011

360 degrees at Schilthorn (Piz Gloria)


(official website picture)

For Christmas last year, my boyfriend and I received a gift from my uncle and aunt: a day trip to Schilthorn, a mountain 2970m high on the Swiss Alps. From the top, it is possible to see the most famous mountains in the country such as Titlis, Jungfrau, Monch, Eiger and Mont Blanc. Amazing, isn't it?


The trip there is already worth it, because of the beautiful landscape of the Swiss Alps. The arrival there through the funicular is overwhelming! The projects for the construction of a railway to Schilthorn to transform one of the most beautiful places in Switzerland and to allow the access for tourists existed since the end of the 18th century, but the Geographic conditions and technology at the time didn't make its construction possible. It was not until 1967 that a group coordinated by Ernst Feust overcame the technical and financial difficulties and constructed the longest aerial cableway of the world. Not satisfied with breaking one record, he idealized the construction of the first rotating restaurant in an altitude of 3,000 m. 


The top is so surreal that it became the set for the filming of James Bond's On Her Majesty's Secret Service. So, you can have an idea of the what you can find there. When I went there, in the middle of the European winter, the temperature was of -10°C and the whole place was covered with a "snow carpet". Maybe that's why since 1928, the longest down hill sky race of the world (another breaking of record) takes place there, known as "hell". When I was there, there was no one skiing because there was an avalanche risk (strong emotions!). It should be very interesting to see a completely different (and still marvelous) view of the place in the summer. 

The rotating restaurant allows you to eat with a 360 degrees view of the place. There I ordered a Gimmelwalder Kalbsgeschnetzeites mit Rosti, i.e., veal meat cut in pieces with mushrooms Gimmelwald style with rosti potatoes (which I love). To go with a typical Swiss dish, a regional red wine.





Official Website: http://www.schilthorn.ch/en/

A special thanks to my uncle Michael and my aunt Sissa, who introduced me to the rosti of the mountains when I was still a kid and gave me the gift of this wonderful day trip!

Dani

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário